ABOUT THE HOSPITAL
The Kigali Hospital Center (CHK) was built in 1918. In 1928, it began to work as health center.
It was in 1965 when he started to work as hospital.
From April 1994 to 1996, CHK has played the double role of a health center, a hospital and a district referral hospital.
With the enactment of Law No. 41/2000 of 7/12/2000 on the establishment and organization of the Kigali Hospital Center of it has been an integral part and became a public institution with legal personality known as “University Teaching Hospital of Kigali”( UTHK);
It is one of the referral hospitals of the country with a capacity of 429 beds to 31/12/2008.
Its main mission : -Ensuring the provision of care to the population and education, develop clinical research and provide technical support to district hospitals.
To fulfill this mission, objectives were then assigned:
- The quality of care provided to the population,
- The psychological care of people living with HIV / AIDS
- The quality of care and welfare of patients,
- The nutritional care of patients,
- The quality of services provided by the laboratory
- The state of infrastructure,
- Security conditions,
- The state park facilities
- The supply of equipment, medicines and consumables equipment
2. Improve and promote the environmental health of the hospital,
3. Provide administrative services required by clients,
4. Provide sufficient staff and qualified,
5. Endow the UTHK of adequate regulations,
6. Build capacity hospital managers,
7. Develop ICT and activities of telemedicine.
8. Ensure the continuity and quality of education, training nurses and support doctors and nurses trainees.
9. Ensure the operational and scientific research.
At the end of 2008, UTHK had 748 employees including 97 doctors
(Medical Specialists, General Practitioners and Post graduates ), 444 nurses (401 nurses and 43 midwives), 99 paramedics, 105 administrative staff and 3 support staff.
It had four managements: Administrative management, medical management, finance and nursing management.
- Fifteen clinical departments: internal medicine, pediatrics, surgery, anesthetics, emergency, ENT, dermatology, dentistry, ophthalmology, clinical consultation, pharmacy, laboratory , physiotherapy, medical imaging and obstetrics & gynecology.
The CHUK is administered by a board of directors and managed by a Medical Director supported by the Board of Directors, the Management Committee and the Executive Committee.
The Board of Directors consists of:
- Rector of the National University of Rwanda, President;
- Secretary General at the Ministry having health in his attributions, Vice-President,
- Secretary General at the Ministry of education,
- Dean of the Faculty of Medicine of the National University of Rwanda;
- Director of each hospital of the University Hospital Centre;
- A representative of the Academic Staff of University Hospital.
The Management Committee is composed of:
- The Director of the hospital, President;
- The administrator, Vice-President;
- All heads of departments of the hospital;
- A representative of the non academic staff medical;
- A representative of the administrative staff;
- The Head of nursing, Secretary;
- A Representative of the technical staff and support;
- A Representative of the population where the hospital is established the "CHU.
The Steering Committee is composed of:
- The director of the hospital, President;
- The administrator, Vice-President;
- The Director of Finance;
- Medical Director;
- The Head of nursing;
- Delegate of co-management(Delco);
- The Head of the department of human resources
- The Head of the department of procurement
- The legal adviser.
In order to properly accomplish its mission, UTHK has also commissions and boards which have specific tasks.
These boards are : medical advice, the recruitment committee, the procurement committee, the treatment committee, the Committee of hospital hygiene, quality advice, the training and research committee, the council of nurses , ICT committee and security commission.
Welcome to CHUK Website
The University teaching hospital of Kigali is located in the Centre of Kigali city (District of Nyarugenge) ,is the main public health institution in the country. It was built in 1918; In 1928, it worked as health center. In 1965 ,it worked as hospital. From April 1994 to 1996,the CHK has served as a health center,a district hospital and as a referral hospital as well.
With the enactment of law Nr. 41/2000 of 7/12/2000 on the establishment and organization of the University Teaching Hospital "UTH", the CHK became a public institution with legal personality known as “University Teaching Hospital of Kigali”.